Author  Message

PhantomStrif
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 9/7/1977 (46)

Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 6:37:17 PM | IP Logged

edited by: PhantomStrife on Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 6:39:00 PM

The Golf Club with course maker for PCs was available on Steam effective April 17th, 2014 for $29.74. There is not a demo. The Steam forum has some interesting comments that I am reading before I pull the card cord. 

dawg8
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 12/20/1946 (77)

Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 10:19:39 PM | IP Logged

Steam !!!! are you kidding me...true PC gamers hate Steam. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

B-Day: 11/26/1987 (36)

Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 at 1:11:59 PM | IP Logged

edited by: argon on Sunday, April 20, 2014 at 2:23:00 PM More Info

PhantomStrife said:
"The Golf Club with course maker for PCs was available on Steam effective April 17th, 2014 for $29.74. There is not a demo. The Steam forum has some interesting comments that I am reading before I pull the card cord."
Go read their own forums, you need a Big spec PC to run this,topic already covered here, you play on your own as yet,PC dodgy mouse /key board controls,but youcan have a game pad controller.
Their on build 4 now i think,
I will try it though. 

PhantomStrif
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 at 11:47:35 PM | IP Logged

I did read their forums. I also owned Tiger Woods Original 99 game. You could say the same about it.

Big spec PC to run you play on your own as yet, PC dodgy mouse /key board controls

The original game was horrible but EA developed a profitable franchise despite themselves. Last PC game was 08 and we are still here.

The developer for The Golf Club seems eager to develop a game using player input. Something that EA did initially but failed miserably at in the later productions.

For me, this game seems closer to the TW series than any of the other golf games I've seen.
I think EA will be sorry that they did not come to an agreement on development collaboration with this game.

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 at 11:56:04 PM | IP Logged

PhantomStrife said:
"...
The original game was horrible but EA developed a profitable franchise despite themselves. Last PC game was 08 and we are still here. ...
"

TW series was never profitable if i recall EA sales data Divot posted

if it was profitable - in whatever form - it would still be pumped out year after year 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

PhantomStrif
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 12:03:38 AM | IP Logged

I don't think that Marketing makes decisions based on the desires of the percentage of "true gamers" compared to population of casual gamers that fuel the market. Valve releases the Steam Controller this October/November and without argument, all the PC/Gaming devs have predicted that it's going to revolutionize the way Home Gaming for the mass market will be played. Putting "true gamers" even further away from center of the gaming culture. Maybe that's why they "hate steam". 

PhantomStrif
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 12:06:53 AM | IP Logged

It was the longest running game behind the Madden Series that EA produced. How much longer did it need to run to call it successful? Do you think EA produced it from 99 to 08 at a loss?  

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 1:52:08 AM | IP Logged

edited by: argon on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 4:54:00 AM More Info

PhantomStrife said:
"I dont think that Marketing makes decisions based on the desires of the percentage of true gamers compared to population of casual gamers that fuel the market. Valve releases the Steam Controller this October/November and without argument, all the PC/Gaming devs have predicted that its going to revolutionize the way Home Gaming for the mass market will be played. Putting true gamers even further away from center of the gaming culture. Maybe thats why they hate steam."
? What excatly is the Steam Controller.
? The Golf Club at the moment is bought from an account opened at Steam by the buyer.
? This then is a soft ware down load with Steam / Valve locking the game to the individual`s PC so it cannot be copied or what ever.

? People can be Playing a game they have from Steam and downloading at the same time i read some where ? does this affect game performance.

There are programmers out there that can lock a program to the unique ID of the HDD.

Yep TW 2008 is still going strong because simply its the best, pitty EA closed the main server, IMO EA went the way of the Console with all later releases after ? TW 2010/ 12
Edit: yes i found it on a search Steam Controller ! just a new type of console game controller, probably PC compatable?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/
yes and After a quick look Steam is an application running in the back ground you have to install, personally this i do not like. 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 10:17:34 AM | IP Logged

edited by: jbcalg on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 4:53:00 PM

PhantomStrife said:
"... Do you think EA produced it from 99 to 08 at a loss?"

pretty much - Divots info looked pretty dead on in terms of sales - and was posted here as well as other TW sites
dont confuse what the marketing dept touted vs the financials

especially after they moved the dev from headgate studios to tiburon, gutting HG and moving them to console dev

heres a bit - post tw2008 - about pc users vs console users and the sales/profitablility aspect

from divotmaker about 2 years ago:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/golf/538722-tiger-woods-pga-tour-14-wishlist-2.html

Quote:
"
What you fail to comprehend is that the arcade users of TW for consoles outnumber simulation users around 10 to 1. Without the arcade elements of TW for consoles, the franchise would likely no longer be produced. See Links 2004 which did NOT appeal to a wider audience and John Daly Prostroke Golf which has had MISERABLE sales numbers as it caters to simulation-only users. EA has a difficult task. They must develop a game that appeals to gamers and the masses, but also introduce features that the simulation community will enjoy as well. Every year they are taking steps to give simulation users what they want. However, remember TW11? The sales numbers were so poor, it almost tanked the franchise. And what did that game have in it? More simulation features that turned off the casual/arcade users. So if you want TW to go the way of Links 2004 and JDPSG, making the game a pure simulation will do just that.

Look, I want what you want out of TW Golf, a simulation-like experience. However, the simulation users do NOT pay the bills by themselves."

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
========

PhantomStrif
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 7:32:53 PM | IP Logged

edited by: PhantomStrife on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 7:39:00 PM

JB.... When you copy and paste from an article to try and refute a statement I made..... copy the entire article please. You said I was wrong about EA making a profit with the TW series...... Then you copied and pasted from a two year old article that in the end.... stated the same thing that I did. From that same article..... Here is the last sentence that you selectively forgot to post..

they (;EA) will continue to develop games to draw those users in because last time I looked, EA is the only publisher who is developing Golf games on a consistent basis and making a profit at it. 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 8:45:17 PM | IP Logged

edited by: jbcalg on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 8:48:00 PM

wasnt trying to refute anything, just adding opinion acocmpanied by a little information from knowledgeable sources

but feel free to source and copy as much of anything you choose

Quote:
"It was the longest running game behind the Madden Series that EA produced. How much longer did it need to run to call it successful? Do you think EA produced it from 99 to 08 at a loss?"

no i was specifically referring to your earlier assertation that EA developed a profitable franchise - and chose differentiate between the unprofitable and low sales period up to/including PC2008, and the later money grab off primarily console players who (;IMO) have no interest in a golf simulation but prefer arcade type gaming

after which i posted about the PC sales/revenue that Divotmaker posted here and elsewhere, nothing to do with the later move to console gaming with a mockPC interface

Quote:
"The original game was horrible but EA developed a profitable franchise despite themselves. Last PC game was 08 and we are still here"

Quote:
"they (;EA) will continue to develop games to draw those users in because last time I looked, EA is the only publisher who is developing Golf games on a consistent basis and making a profit at it."

i believe DM was referring to the post PC (;ie TW2008) period in the quote above which you chose to focus on

so believe what you want, im still of the opinion that TW-PC (;through pc2008) was a low selling and unprofitable venture which EA got tired of supporting, Tiger made more off the series than EA ever saw in revenue LOL 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
========

PhantomStrif
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at 9:42:05 PM | IP Logged

I tend to look at it from a point of opportunity cost. Company recognition was helped hugely by Tiger. I'm not sure you can look at just game sells and say that is all that EA gained from that adventure with the TW series. I own every PC version. I was hugely grateful for Course downloads for the video's courses and libs. It allowed me to play around and make a few courses of my own. None published. I work in the Medical Field.... to many hours and never had time to devote to that, other than just to appreciate how much skill the guys that make and upload courses to this site. I played actively in 06, 07, and 08. And even played all 3 years at the same time because all 3 servers were going at the same time for over a year after 08 came out. I also have the wii, ps3, xbox 360, and now the ps4. I suck at the arcade style games. I'm not sure EA will ever devote money to a golf game without having a huge superstar to help. Rickey Fowler makes sense. He would have a huge appeal to young gamers. Especially with his Moto crossing past. I would be grateful if anyone pushes a game similar to the TW series. I know that there are a few groups now being active with 08 on private servers.... but it's a much less social game. I've played.... (was addicted) to online gaming at one time. I try to be much less serious about it now. I liked TW because young kids attacking people in forums and in games and being verbally abusive got old. It was refreshing to come to TW and play with mostly adults. I always liked Steam because I am able to install all my games on a new computer or laptop. That goes all the way back to Half Life. Before that I started playing Americas Army 1.5. That was way before punkbuster cleaned up the game. I don't have to have all my old disks and passwords to install each game. I just need one pw.... Steam.... to install and play everything.  

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 4:45:36 AM | IP Logged

edited by: argon on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 5:25:00 AM typo errors

Steam imo is just a cheaper way of distributing a game /no DVD ect: its also an application running in the back ground you dont really need, lost CD codes can be retrived from the registry,the subject is covered here.
Now your here ? About Steam accounts, if the download was corrupt or for some reason you need to reinstall a game ? Can this be done with out paying again and patches are these distributed via Steam.
TW 2008 actually i have seen new boxed DVD version for sale and in some cases the price has gone up second hand still available well worth the money.
Not sure ? Does EA still have the download version link.
They need to get their head back in it for PC gamers, ? Will The Golf Club and Perfect Parralell give them a wake up call, every day this site gets new members *** 

There are 0 active members online

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - The Golf Club - Page 1 Loaded in 0.219 seconds
Saturday, April 20, 2024 @ 3:07:34 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.