Royal Portrush
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 10/30/1976 (47)

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5:33:49 AM | IP Logged

Here is the deal, John Daly only has one hat. If you want to change the hat color you have to make a specific mod just for changing the hat and name it John Daly Red Hat Mod or Green Hat Mod. When you start the game load that specific MOD in to texmods.

Was playing a practice round on Port Rush with John Daly and Jesper Parnevik and was like I can fix Jesper's outfit and I want to give John Daly the dark brown pants he wore during the 3rd round of the 91 PGA. Thinking to myself, it would be so cool if somehow I could design his crazy pants he wears now a days. Than I thought about and said that is not even possible, at least for me. Than a few hours later was like maybe if I try this it may work. It took 2 hours to just design these pants and that was not even knowing if it would look ok in the game.

Here is Daly on #2 in his Irish Green's.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5:57:47 AM | IP Logged

From doing the John Madden textures really learned a lot. What they can do over at football idiots is replace the actual hard coded textures in the game. So for example when Seattle changed their outfits, one of the designers over at football freaks / idiots made the new uniforms and they were great. The team logo in game is 128 by 128 and a crappy 256 bmp image. As long as you keep the dimensions the same you can upgrade the image to 256 by 256 or 512 by 512 or whatever. Than save to a better compression. With John Daly, I did that with his main logo. That logo is hard coded on his sleeve and I didn't like the logo on his back. Wanted to give Mr. Daly a new sponsor as well. Upgraded his JD logo to a higher quality image and moved it to the back of his shirt....(The PGA Tour will go crazy) Miller Lite is his new sponsor on his sleeve.

Here is John Daly after hitting his tee shot on #2.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 6:10:12 AM | IP Logged

John Daly only has four outfits in the game, you can only do so many outfits. Like I said before wanted to get the dark brown pants from the 3rd round of the 91 PGA. Didn't feel like looking for my video tape of this event, so I looked online, found only one picture and it was really low quality. Than I thought, you know what in John Madden the color I did on the Arkansas Razorbacks outfits turned out amazing, it is just a great tint of red. Than I thought about it and said, I will do that instead. Than saw a picture online of John Daly wearing LA Dodger checkerboard pants was like that is the ticket using the Arkansas Razorback colors.

Here is John Daly on #3.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 6:12:29 AM | IP Logged

Here is John Daly on #11, which is now finally pretty much complete.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 6:33:58 AM | IP Logged

Was in the Pro Shop at a local course the other day and they had a Portrush flag hanging up, I asked the clerk were did you get this? Went home and purchased one from Ebay. Going to hang that on my wall after this.

You had a lot of talk during the coverage of the two new holes designed for this event. Let me just say, those two new holes took Portrush from being a great course, to putting it on another stratosphere.

Here is a look at #8 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 6:36:32 AM | IP Logged

Here is #7, looking back down the fairway.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 9:57:57 PM | IP Logged

Right now, about 1 month in, the course is pretty much complete. In the next few posts going to talk about some designing tips, problems and other related things.

I don't have the skills to do structures so we are using the CGX structures. I personally don't like the whitish tone of the old 02 LC, they use in order not to have black structures in 08. The 04 structures is were the game changed, maybe we should have tried things with the 04 LC. Most of the stuff I use are old structures and for some reason, they are not all black in 08.

This course was built in the 07 engine have not tested it in the 08 game at all. However the course uses many 08 stock libs from Pebble, Firestone, St Andrews and the K-Club. The 08 bushes and grass effect from 08, look great in 07 and they do not crash the game.

Back to the CGX structures, thought if I texmodded them it would change the look. However the way CGX designed them, they used the same base textures for the club house and the caddie shack on the 1st tee. Didn't know this. Here is a picture from the putting green area looking at the replaced textures, As you can see, the texture is replaced on the clubhouse as well.

In other words we couldn't use this. The end product, changed the base texture colors from using the picture of the real club house. The base stucco on the clubhouse is yellow, so we changed the white to yellow and made the roof a darker red.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 10:26:09 PM | IP Logged

Calamity Corner was interesting to build. Going to go in to some details.

From just doing Turnberry had to do ocean holes with a cliff so this is kind of similar, but the hole is inland. Looking at the TGC Portrush course the designer put mounds down this cliff and was like that is interesting.

To start we design the hole. Than we run out and extra rough shape for about 6 yards. When we smooth out the ridge we don't go in to the main rough area.

Than we kind of set the elevation for the hole, 17 feet up hill or whatever and we build that.

Next we trace the ridge line on the right of the hole and run it out for 200 yards. Than go to the middle, create and drop a small shape and drop it about 20 to 25 feet. Than we go to the entire shape and drop to minimum. Than we smooth the ridge lines out.

Next we use the camera in the CA and start building mounds in to the ridge. What I did was tried to copy every ridge that was done on the TGC course. This was just guess work and got lucky, when it turned out pretty good.

Now that we have a base idea we want to drop the tee area and make it a straight ridge down. We run another shape out about 3 yards and drop to a minimum.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 10:38:26 PM | IP Logged

Next we flatten out all the other crap in this area just leaving a ridge line. To complete we draw a shape from the green color area around the tee and run it a few yards in to the base bottom area texture and smooth it out like 3 notches on the smooth scaler til it looks ok.

The entire concept of doing this is pretty simple but in course designing it is pretty advanced. The key to doing cliffs or ridge lines is the buffer shape and not allowing your main rough texture to not be smoothed in to the ridge.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 11:07:55 PM | IP Logged

The 13th hole from the overall real design is the worst hole on the course. You drop 30 feet down to a flat green area with 5 bunkers in the fairway. For the Open they ran the fairway in to the 17th hole.

When you do holes that drop visually 30 feet it is very easy to not be able to see the green area from the tee.

Tried a few things out to make this hole interesting. In the end decided, to cut the green side bunkers in to the rough, not to blend 17 in to 13 and try to create a visual picture from the tee area. It is just messing around and testing the course til you get a design you like.

Moved the tee over a bit and lowered it (under 30 feet) so you could kind of see the tee on the right of it and the teeing area below than blended the weed rough out far enough to give a visual look and than planted a few bushes to the left of the tee.

Than on #17, on the TV coverage they said a few guys were driving this green in practice rounds being down wind. The hole is 408 yards. Wanted this feature in the design. It took a while but under gusty or strong winds or using the power shot it is possible to drive the green or hit just short of it. You have to hit the right spot in the fairway on the downhill to get this sling shot effect. In to the wind you can't even drive to the hill which is about 300 yards out. You get real life, links course effect on this hole. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 11:40:13 PM | IP Logged

Few closing notes:

Sometimes add yardage to the courses, Portrush is no different, added yardage to the 2nd hole and the 12th hole. Both are Par 5's. The 12th hole is still reachable in two shots. The greens overall are pretty flat, they are not designed to be tricky. Hole #5 was designed as a birdie hole and a par 4 you can drive. The wind dictates the course so your scores kind of reflect the conditions. It is a fun course cause you can make all kinds of numbers and when you drive in weeds or in weird places you need to scramble. The course has tons of run offs and chipping areas and is visually stunning.

In the start of this post, said it would be fun to create the 10th hole. This was nothing but a nightmare. In the end decided, I don't have the skills for this. After 15 to 20 attempts, countless hours and failure after failure, well I don't know.

Right now going to play the course for about a week, not much to clean up, may attempt to redo hole 10, I don't know. Once I get the course to no more edits, which should be by next Thursday, will release for the 07 engine. For 08, just have to replant trees on hole #4 that is it, it will take about 1 hour. That course will follow soon after. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 4:31:57 AM | IP Logged

Ported the course over to 08 and did a texmod for the weedrough. My 1st question is this, in 07 if you turn off Cloud Shadows the game looks pretty good in the rain. In 08, this feature is gone. Do all courses look dark in the rain, does anyone know a fix?

If you play in cloudy or semi cloudy, the textures turn darker. Using stock pebble beach 08 with a custom made fringe.

On my Windows 10 computer, when I play the 08 game the weedrough and rough in general is bent over. It looks totally different and messed up. Anyone know anything about this?

These next few pictures and all these pictures are from my 2004 XP Sony computer which was purchased for the 04 TW game.

What I noticed in 08 the lighting and direction you are playing has a major factor on the look of the hole. The mounding also looks different, they are more rounded. The detail is greater in 08.

Personally like this course better in 07.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 4:36:43 AM | IP Logged

The gallery in 08 is just about impossible to control. Understand I change nothing, in places you get to many of them or nobody shows up.

On 18 the gallery is out of control, the people are even standing in the sight lines.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 4:42:57 AM | IP Logged

Here is the 10th, looking back, this hole is one I don't like and I don't like the look of 18 either. This photo looks pretty good, just think I need to fix up some of the these mounds.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 5:34:08 AM | IP Logged

Here is John Daly on #6, in the 08 engine, texmodded the outfit over.  

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:16:41 PM | IP Logged

Very nice work Hyno, thanks for sharing the pics. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 at 10:44:01 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, August 26, 2019 at 10:53:00 AM

For many reasons, like the 07 game better. In 08, never know how far you hit the drives. It would scroll over the middle of the screen which was annoying so personally removed that. The animated bushes and trees, dont like. Many of the bushes have these little stems at the roots. In 07 we have the water reflection problem on customs, Which I still think can be fixed. The galleries in 08 are out of control and it is really hard managing them. I like the bigger splash screens, the course music, the circle profile pics and ect. Than you have the lighting problems which is worse in 08.

From doing custom MODs for the Fallout game, you have many computer guys who love this stuff. They somehow kind of hack in an rebuild the games. They also re-texture everything with these high res HD textures and even change the lighting. It is mind blowing. Granted TW community has kind of left the game.

In my opinion, like the TW game way better than the golf club game. Why? The game play is much better. You can change your golfer, play with tour players, create a hundred golfers and so forth. The realistic game play in TW is unmatched.

Side note:
Hate the way gaming has gone, they want you to have an internet connection to run the programs. You cant play TGC custom courses without internet.

Augusta National for Golfers is always the course people want to play and EA sports did the official release of Augusta for consoles. In 08 I never liked the Sawgrass trees which would be used for Augusta. The 07 Sawgrass trees is a better set of looking trees. The 07 trees dont look good in 08. However in 08, I think you could make a perfect looking Augusta.

Here is what I am saying, with these tech programs you can trace the real layouts, which I never really used (Idiot). Than you can texmod the 07 sawgrass tree texture to look great in 08. As I stated before with the 07 and 08 stock textures EA uses two textures sets for each texture on certain textures. You could get a really good Augusta set made than re-texture a stock lib for the look. I dont know how that gloss look would look on Pine straw, but you could test it out.

Hear me out, started doing some TexMods for 08, have about 150 textures replaced, this is upgrading clothing, better equipment, along with the custom players.

So you can play the course with Dustin Johnson, Ricky Fowler, Brooks Koepka and ect. Already proved in 05 you can create pretty close pictures of every tee shot at Augusta and every second shot. We as a community who is ever left kinds of comes together and produces a absolutely mint, perfect Augusta. We need to find the best bunker guy for Augusta, the best guy to trace the shapes and ect.

What a perfect Augusta would do?

Doing media blasts, using awesome pictures and video of the course on YouTube and on Social media we could bring people back to the TW game, create an interest and hopefully bring in the tech guys who love golf and get a complete overhaul of the game making it better.

Just an idea....

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:30:56 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:35:00 AM

Back to Portrush, would like to do some new holes signs and that is were the hold up is on the release. Now going to go back to Turnberry and try to do a Pano. For starters going to pull the Pano from the 05 stock course using texmods.

Wanted to use these Portrush textures on Royal St. Sabastian. That was the 1st layout I ever worked on back in 03 than completed in a rush job later. Kind of looking at the course and the errors I made around the boarders. Hate to do this, going to port over the layout to a new TCA and redesign the course from scratch. Going to mirror a few of the holes, blow up some holes and use the Portrush pano to design it by. Currently have the ocean, next to the 18th hole and it doesnt even make sense, who builds a club house 200 yards from the ocean? It is stupid. Doing hole #5 at Portrush, really liked the idea of hitting a 2nd shot in to an ocean back drop with a cliff. Not going to create any Ocean holes, but will do like one or two holes that hits in to a cliff wall like Portrush hole 5.

The British Open Portrush flag that I said I got on ebay. Well it came in the mail. Stupid me ordered a glossy print and was fooled by the ebay sales ad. So I got a picture of the bloody flag. Oh my goodness was I pissed. So than ordered the real flag the next day it was like $50.00.

The official Hyno Designs Royal Portrush Promo video

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 3:54:21 AM | IP Logged

Haven't forgot about Royal Portrush. Because Texmod's is being used want to make a single Texmod file that will replace several stock textures and it will be used on a few courses. Not only that, want to create a single lib for extras for 6 to 8 courses.

Started this post talking about Turnberry. Since Turnberry turned out way better than I thought and it was a hybrid mix of the old and new course decided to try this again on a US Open course. Personally in many cases I think the USGA wrecks golf courses and do not like the new look of Pinehurst #2. Decided to do a Hyno Designs mix. Going to take the updated yardages but build the old course and course that I would present for a US Open or a virtual US Open. We are going back of the book on this and taking my old school design methods to make a very difficult golf course. Bringing back the Merion and Oakmont type of course with Oakmont style greens that are fast, unfair and sloped. Than going to do advanced angles and geometry. If this works out may go on and do Wingfoot.

Here is a short video that shows the front 9 of Turnberry a sneak peak before the official release which is coming out with Royal Portrush, Pinehurst 99 and a few others.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 4:22:08 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 4:30:00 AM

Pinehurst 99 (Official Hyno Designs Trailer)

Page of 3
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
mcalfie,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Royal Portrush - Page 2 Loaded in 0.360 seconds
Wednesday, April 24, 2024 @ 4:04:13 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.