not compatible with 8.1
Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 11:23:39 AM | IP Logged

I was playing for a while on windows 8 with no problems and then suddenly I started receiving an error message stating that the OS system needed to be upgraded to windows XP or higher. I tried reinstalling for a while but then gave up. I went through the hassle of installing the 8.1 upgrade and tried reinstalling the game thinking that it might now run but when it installed and I went to try and play it would crash and give me the windows error message that there is a problem and the program needs to close. I then began the process of trying to play it in different compatibility modes with the same results. Also tried reinstalling it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 again with the same results. Windows is telling me that there is a paid upgrade but that unfortunately is going to a game console and I don't won't to install the Masters which was the last debacle that EA Sports tried to foist on we PC players who have been with the franchise since the beginning. Wish they would do a grand finale for the faithful before they completely trash the franchise but it doesn't seem likely. If anyone has gotten the game to work on 8.1 please enlighten me. Thanks. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 11:35:22 AM | IP Logged

Hiya, Tw08 should work on Win8.1, a bit lower i will give you a link with some steps you have to follow.

Important note: When you do the compatibility thing, it is possible your system will say it will not work in compatibility mode, but just finish it and restart your PC and it will work !!!!

Go to the Forum... and go to the section: TW Caddie 08 Support
Look to the first 11 topics, one of the topics is named: TW Caddie 08 and Win8

Or go this link for the topic: http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=9641&forum=32

Follow the steps inside the topic ( after the compatibility thing you have to restart your PC and it should work )

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 6:47:25 PM | IP Logged

Gunpower61, thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately, I've tried the things you've recommended and still have had no luck. Let me explain; I've tried restarting after getting to compatible mode but the game does the same thing: mainly it will show that there are no courses loaded and that a problem has occurred and it needs to shut down. The only thing I failed to mention was that when the game does start it goes through the "EA Sports, It's In the Game" sound spot but when the main menu comes up there is no default music playing as there was when it was on my XP laptop. Also, I will go to the horizontal start screed for Windows 8.1 and find the TW08 icon and right click on it but there is no properties option to click on. There is a run as administrator option and also a few resizing option but there is no properties option to get to compatibility testing or checks. Also, when I click on open files option it brings me to a page of TW08 files that are only a few KB's long and they are all shortcuts and have nothing to do with the meat of the game. Please, I know there is a solution out there somewhere- anything you can do will be appreciated. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

B-Day: 11/26/1987 (36)

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 1:22:38 AM | IP Logged

I found an Article about Win 8 and ATI Radeon cards having issues with TW 2008, I just had issues installing on Win7 Pro with an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti PCIE card, running on Directx 11. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 2:49:25 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 2:53:00 AM

Yes as Argon said, there are problems with the Graphics cards: AMD Radeon
So more info when you have a AMD Radeon card: http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=9343

This is how you can get the TW08 icon on your desktop:
Go to the bin folder in TW08, see path below:
C:\Program Files (;x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\bin

Now inside the bin folder right click the TW08.exe icon, and in list choose: Copy to...and choose: Desktop
Now you will have the Tw08 icon on your desktop, and there you can try to do the compatibility thing described in higher post. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 4:12:21 AM | IP Logged

http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=9343
Some very good posts on the thread Gunpower posted, that address this issue with Radeon cards and especially the last post on Nvidia cards. 

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 11:33:43 AM | IP Logged

Sorry, Gunpower61, but the results are the same and I did get the icon on the desktop. No matter which compatibility mode I restart the game in, I still get no sound, no loaded golf courses and no play when I try to with the error message that a problem has caused this program to stop working and close. My question remains the same: is there anyone out there that has got TW08 to work on the windows 8.1 update? If so, please enlighten me as to how I can get this game to work. I hate to relegate it to the trash bin.
Frustrated in Houston. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 11:41:22 AM | IP Logged

Yes i am using win8.1 and got Tw08 working after i did the compatibility thing, and after i restarted my PC.
Many other members got it working on win8.1
What graphics card you are using ? 

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 5:42:31 PM | IP Logged

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, Gunpower, but I just can't get it to work. I'm using a AMD E1-1500 APU w/Radeon HD graphics card. Had no problem before with the game but I've been told that a Windows update previously caused the error message about updating your OS system. Since then, I've downloaded the windows 8.1 and now the game will load up but have the present symptoms I've discussed previously. Do you think I should I uninstall it again and go through the compatibility test again? If so, could you please direct me to the link to go through the install and get to the compatibility testing. Appreciate it. 

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 9:57:12 PM | IP Logged

Maybe I should do a custom install instead of the conventional one. Also when I'm in the program folders aka- courses I see nothing in it. When the game loads up there are no courses so they aren't loading. Frustrated in Houston. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:50:16 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 1:26:00 PM

When there are no courses in the courses folder, then the installation failed, not sur why, but maybe you will have to disable user account control (; UAC ), some more info below.
The stock courses should be here: C:\Program Files (;x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses
Inside the folder Courses you should see several folders (; PBL...SAW...STA...etc...)with the stock courses.
You are using: AMD E1-1500 APU w/Radeon HD graphics card.....there are problems with AMD Radeon cards on Win8 and TW08.
But since you said it worked before with the card, maybe it is worth to try to uninstall the game, and do a new reinstall.
Think it is best to do a conventional install, and after that do the Compatibility thing below.
Try to do the new install with user account control (; UAC ) disabled on your PC. Some help on link below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Note: When the only problem is that the stock courses and libraries are not installed in TW08, then you can try to install them with TWCaddie08.
You have to run TWCaddie08 as administratior, and after that you can install the stock libraries and courses from the TW08 DVD in TW08 with TWCaddie08.
Maybe first try to uninstall and reinstall TW08, and when you still have no courses, then reply to this post and i can tell you how to install the stock courses and libraries in TW08 with TWCaddie08

Below is how you can run TW08in Compatibility mode:

On desktop you should have TW08 program icon.
This is how you can get the TW08 icon on your desktop:
Go to the bin folder in TW08, see path below:
C:\Program Files (;x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\bin

Now inside the bin folder right click the TW08.exe icon, and in list choose: Copy to...and choose: Desktop
Now you will have the Tw08 icon on your desktop.

On your desktop, right-click the TW08 icon and choose Properties.

When the Properties dialog box appears, click the Compatibility tab and then click the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter button.

In its robotic way, Windows 8 tries to guess what version of Windows your program needs, and then it applies the changes. If the program begins working, youre through.

If the program still has trouble, though, move to Step 3.

In the Compatibility Mode section, select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode For check box and select XP from the drop-down list.

4.Click OK and then try running TW08 again to see whether it works better. (; It is possible you have to restart your PC before it works )

Important note: When you do the compatibility thing, it is possible your system will say it will not work in compatibility mode, but just finish it and restart your PC and it will work !!!! 

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 7:56:35 PM | IP Logged

Gunpower, I'll give it a shot. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow when I have the time to do it. Thanks. 

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 1:35:34 PM | IP Logged

Gunpower, talk about weirdsville, I reinstalled like we thought and disabled UAC when I went to run the game I got the same problems, no courses loaded and no default music playing at the home screen. I tried compatibility mode in XP and restarted and when I did that I got back to where I was when the game first started not working some weeks ago. The error message that the OS system needs to be upgraded to 98SE, 2000 or better. What the hell is going on! Now when I try to run it in compatibility mode it gives me the same reading and I can't even get to the TW08 home screen. Wondering if something is amiss with either the disc or the graphics card. Am about ready to give it up. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 2:18:12 PM | IP Logged

Aaah bl, i really don t know what more we can try, i think we are stuck here. 

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 3:00:01 PM | IP Logged

I regrettably agree, Gunpower. If someone else has a similar problem I should would like to hear about it. Guess I'll check back occasionally and see if it crops up with somebody else. Thanks. 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 4:53:02 PM | IP Logged

edited by: jbcalg on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 4:57:00 PM

does the cd/dvd work properly in Win8 ???
aside from the TW install?

heres something that might be worth looking at (;copy/paste it into browser)
http://steamcommunity.com/app/17300/discussions/0/846959520969835642/

also - some users find that installing 64 bit Java resolves it 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 1:29:06 AM | IP Logged

I think this is His Radeon card :( does not look good to me
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+E1-1500+APU 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 11:45:08 AM | IP Logged

edited by: jbcalg on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 11:48:00 AM

not a whiz bang cpu/graphics chip combo, but it worked before...

seems more an install issue - the game should install, have the files in the correct places etc

then if its a system resource issue - it would at least start and load a course
and then have issues wiht slowness from the cpu, or graphics issues from the chip

stock courses usually at least load and run on most systems

unfortunatley - the OP doesnt specifically state what happens
does the game start?
no music playing -> thats why i suggested looking at the cd/dvd player

no courses loaded???? are they there, do they show on the course selection page and then not load or are they not there at all

are the courses listed in the C:\Program Files (;x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses folder???

specific information, step by step would likely help 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
========

katboy
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 5:44:32 PM | IP Logged

jb, the thought occurred to me after my last post that it might be an install issue. As far as the music and DVD/CD player/recorder it works, I've watched films and played music on it. But I did go to the course folders after the install and there is nothing in them and when I was able to get to the home screen and clicked practice instead of going straight to the PGA tour there were no courses in the course selection screen. So they aren't loading. I should have mentioned that I have a saved career and player from TW2007 which I've been carrying over to 2008 and when I go to uninstall the game it asks if I want to save those files and I always click yes. In fact when the game first started on Windows 8 my career and player were there so I continued on. A few months ago, I believe after a windows update install, (not windows 8.1 install) the game wouldn't load up anymore and I kept getting that freakish message to upgrade the OS to windows 98, or 2000 or higher. After 8.1 upgrade installed I thought the game might load up correctly but when I went to play it, I got to the home screen and my player and career and accolades are all there but there is no music playing and it quits when I go to play, practice or anything because as I've said, there are no loaded courses. Have started playing TW12 on my kindle but as you know it is a far cry from the PC games that EA did. Any help would be appreciated.  

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 10:02:37 PM | IP Logged

For info: the problem windows update for Win8 is: KB2778344
When this update was uninstalled, TW08 worked again.

http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=9753

see gunpower's post halfway down 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
========

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
Gunpower61,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - not compatible with 8.1 - Page 1 Loaded in 0.313 seconds
Tuesday, April 23, 2024 @ 4:09:44 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.