No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/19/1971 (52)

Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 10:32:08 AM | IP Logged

Electronic Arts standing behind Tiger Woods

By JORDAN ROBERTSON

AP Technology Writer
Posted: Tuesday, Jan. 05, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO Electronic Arts Inc. said Monday it will stand behind Tiger Woods - at least for the release of a new online golf game featuring the embattled athlete.

The relationship between EA and Woods stretches back more than a decade, and Tiger Woods-branded games have pulled in hundreds of millions of dollars for the company over the years.

Woods' image has been tarnished following a Thanksgiving holiday car accident at the golfer's Florida home, which led to an admission of extramarital "transgressions." He is taking a break from golf and has been dropped by major corporate sponsors AT&T Corp. and Accenture.

Gillette, a unit of the Procter & Gamble Co., and Swiss watch maker Tag Heuer, a unit of LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, have also said they will cut back their use of Woods in their advertising campaigns.

On Monday, EA Sports President Peter Moore said the company decided to stick with Woods because he is "still one of the greatest athletes in history" despite his "mistakes" off the golf course.

Moore added in a statement that the company has spent "considerable time" developing and testing the new "Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online" game, which he called a "breakthrough experience."

The game will be released in so-called "open beta" later this month, which means it is still being tested but anyone can play and help find areas that can be improved. EA said it doesn't have a date yet for the launch of the finished game.

The company, which is based in Redwood City, wouldn't comment on whether Woods' sex scandal will affect EA's plans for a new edition of Woods' popular console game, "Tiger Woods PGA Tour," a franchise that that doesn't do as well as the company's enormously successful "Madden" football series but is still a serious moneymaker. EA has raked in more than $670 million from the Woods franchise in the United States alone over the length of the partnership, according to estimates by market research firm NPD Group.

The most recent installment of the console game, "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10," was launched in June 2009. The next one is scheduled for the summer of 2010. The games are especially popular on the Nintendo Wii, whose intuitive motion controls lend themselves to sports games.

EA can continue to make "PGA Tour" games without Woods. It could pick another golfer with a more pristine family life. Or it could go back to the pre-Woods days, and simply call it "PGA Tour."

The game has no real competitors. EA is the only company licensed by the PGA to make games that carry its name. It lets players play in a setting that looks as close to the real thing as possible.

Most of Woods' $100 million in annual earnings have come not from tournament winnings but from companies that wanted to be associated with his persona.

AP Technology Writer Barbara Ortutay contributed to this story from New York.  

axe360
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 3/26/1960 (64)

Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 10:43:13 AM | IP Logged

Lest we forget, they are making their money from us, the consumer. So let's just see if we (the consumer) will stand behind Tiger? I think that is the more important question. Thanks for the post JSJarvis.. 

Cokeybill54
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 7/6/1954 (69)

Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 11:14:44 PM | IP Logged

Ditto Axe. The guy raped us of our cash thru game sales and I think he should pay us back the monies we spent to put in his pocket.;>) 

Cokeybill54 Signature

slippery1
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 6/19/1959 (64)

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 12:46:42 AM | IP Logged

Wow!!! I guess I don't feel "raped" of cash by Tiger. It was my choice to by his games and not forced upon me as the term rape suggests. Listen, he commited no crimes, zero, zilch, none. He commited some indescretions that maybe people don't agree with. He's a human being, subject to mistakes, as are we all, but because he is who he is, it is subject to much more scrutiny than if one of us went out and did the same thing. So, I guess any of us that have ever made a mistake in life should refund all of our earnings during that period to our employers so they don't feel "raped" by us. IMO, rape is an awfully strong term to use in a situation like this. In the end, I didn't buy this game and others strictly because it had someone's name attached to it. What happens in his life is his own business and none of mine. My game, that I bought and paid for of my own free will, still plays the same. 

axe360
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 8:40:28 AM | IP Logged

edited by: axe360 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 9:29:00 AM

Ill just wait and see if he even asks the public for forgiveness. He is a big roll model and I do care whos name is on what I buy..
I believe in 2nd chances if one truly asks for it..

Last time I checked though, adultery was a crime.. 

DivotMaker
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 8:52:17 AM | IP Logged

Cokeybill54 said:
"Ditto Axe. The guy raped us of our cash thru game sales and I think he should pay us back the monies we spent to put in his pocket.;>)"

Raped us? Did he hold a gun to your head an MAKE you buy software with his name on it? ROLLEYES.... 

DivotMaker Signature

Asus Maximus Formula X38 / C2D E6850 / 4 GB DDR 6400 / ATI HD 4870 X2 / WD Raptor 150 GB / Viewsonic VX2835 28 1080p / Logitech Digital 5500 / Vista 32

slippery1
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 6/19/1959 (64)

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 10:01:01 AM | IP Logged

No one has ever been arrested for adultery, but if what Tiger did truly bothers you that much, I'd suggest you do this. Completely uninstall TW 08 from your computer, put the disc back in the nice little box it came in, wrap it up and send it back to EA with a note enclosed saying that you can't play the game any more because it goes against your beliefs. And If there is a refund involved, tell them to go ahead and donate it to the Home for Disappointing Role Models. The place is full and they could really use the cash. 

axe360
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 10:07:23 AM | IP Logged

edited by: axe360 on Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 12:41:00 PM

slippery1 said:
"No one has ever been arrested for adultery, but if what Tiger did truly bothers you that much, Id suggest you do this. Completely uninstall TW 08 from your computer, put the disc back in the nice little box it came in, wrap it up and send it back to EA with a note enclosed saying that you cant play the game any more because it goes against your beliefs. And If there is a refund involved, tell them to go ahead and donate it to the Home for Disappointing Role Models. The place is full and they could really use the cash."

Ill just rise above... Good day. 

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 2:20:19 PM | IP Logged

I was kinda hoping EA would sell his contract to Rockstar Games. (Vice City Tiger Woods edition) 

DivotMaker
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 4:07:39 PM | IP Logged

nuttywoody said:
"I was kinda hoping EA would sell his contract to Rockstar Games. (Vice City Tiger Woods edition)"

Never going to happen...this was a stupid rumor started by some idiot in a forum.... 

DivotMaker Signature

Asus Maximus Formula X38 / C2D E6850 / 4 GB DDR 6400 / ATI HD 4870 X2 / WD Raptor 150 GB / Viewsonic VX2835 28 1080p / Logitech Digital 5500 / Vista 32

nuttywoody
Course Staff
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 10:41:28 AM | IP Logged

Sorry, I meant to make a stupid joke, not a stupid rumor. 

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/5/1988 (35)

Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 2:04:18 PM | IP Logged

I thought it was funny...

:) 

link reflog
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 8:38:02 PM | IP Logged

I love the though of EA standing behind Tiger Woods but does Tiger Woods know how EA are treating the people that buy their games with his name on them I lay money he is unaware of how we are treated. Take our money now just dump us, if i were him I would be disgusted with EA.  

DivotMaker
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 7:01:55 AM | IP Logged

link reflog said:
"I love the though of EA standing behind Tiger Woods but does Tiger Woods know how EA are treating the people that buy their games with his name on them I lay money he is unaware of how we are treated. Take our money now just dump us, if i were him I would be disgusted with EA."

Take your money and support an online server for 32 months (a full year longer than normal) after release? Yeah, I see your point.... 

DivotMaker Signature

phnert44
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 3:14:01 PM | IP Logged

Tiger committed adultery and had affairs? Is that what we are calling it?
Nice terms for the family men. How about paying for sex, partonizing prostitutes, around the world even using his house after his daughter was born and oh yeah when his father was in the hospital. Of course the father was the role model for extramarital behavior years prior. You guys go out on your street corner in your town and hand a hooker $50 and get caught. You calling it adultery? Makes me laff.

If it bothers us that much put the game away? lol. The game is a golf game and never did represent Tiger woods except put EA money in his pocket. I think they deserve each other.

EA put his picture on their game to sell copies. Why wouldn't they continue the practice if they think it would increase TWO membership. Anyone surprised?

Good support from a few of the designers for TWO. I look forward to their new courses for TW0; I know they are still designing for TW08 tho. I just know you guys will love the design tool, they hear your needs and I bet it will do even more things that TW06 tool did, you know the one you still using. $60 caching, caching, caching. Can I see hole 1 JPG please? 

phnert44
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 6:58:47 PM | IP Logged

Well the joke is on me. I can't seem to even play a round on TWO since the beat ended. Is there a way to play a free round? I can't get past step 2.......Or is it closed to members only? Please advise. 

sandsaver01
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 1/28/1947 (77)

Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 7:34:48 AM | IP Logged

Phnert - there is always one course and one tournament that is free to play. The course seems to change at intervals, but i do not know how often. 

sandsaver01 Signature

Mike
CD tour Co-manager

phnert44
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 8:31:59 AM | IP Logged

Thanks S. I haven't seen it TWO since beta 3. I'll give it a look. 

Boze
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 1/1/1901 (123)

Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 9:10:10 AM | IP Logged

As of right now, there are 3 open(free)courses to play. 

Boze Signature

XBL: xXBoze66Xx

leccy
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 4:38:09 AM | IP Logged

For Tiger Woods, I have to say no matter what he did before, I wish he can have better performance on golf course in the following days, game is more important than his pravite life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a golf game, so why not take the new taylormade r11 driver to enjoy your rich life. 

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
BillSaunders,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Electronic Arts standing behind Tiger Woods - Page 1 Loaded in 0.267 seconds
Friday, April 19, 2024 @ 4:18:01 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.