Author  Message

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 10/30/1976 (47)

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 3:04:23 AM | IP Logged

Pinehurst 99:

Project start date: Nov 2, 2019

Could have used the purgatory pano for this course since it is by far the best tree line pano. Wanted to try something new.

(I will tell you what, I am the worst at figuring out masked layers and loading in alpha channels. It took a long time but basically fixed up the Pinehurst 04 stock pano)

How do you fix up an existing Pano?
With Texmod's you can pull the textures out of the game.

Old stock pano's are 1024x256 and for the LC the pano's must be 1024x512

Textures:
Was just going to do a two tone course like the 04 Stock course, but wanted to do fairway 1st cuts, 4 feet out, like the 04 stock. Which than you could create walking rough paths to the fairways. Couldn't create a texture that would blend in or work with stock textures. You can't do weed rough on Pinehurst and the sandy soil look from 2014 is basically impossible.

Started messing around with texmods and pulling and creating weird sandy looking textures and different types of Pine straw.

Pulled a bunch of frames from the 2014 US Open video of the sandy rough.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 3:26:59 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, December 9, 2019 at 4:42:00 AM

Still in experimental phase:

When creating Royal Portrush was watching youtube videos of the TGC 2019, and the designer did an amazing job, instead of watching YouTube videos decided to buy the game for $20.00 to use his course as a blue print. Thought maybe someone did Pinehurst #2 and if lucky they built it to scale and did a good job. The answer to the question was yes and the texture rough looked amazing.

In the TGC 2019, you can pull up the hole maps and if the course was done right it can help in designing for the TW game.

Looking at TGC Pinehurst course and his shaping and rough blending was like I can do this. This will look a lot better than a two tone course like the 04 stock course.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 3:48:17 AM | IP Logged

Drawing Courses by hand:

For Pinehurst #2, got the final round pin sheets and used that to create the greens and than drew the rest by hand looking at google earth. When I do this, which started back in 05 with Baltusrol. Create 18 holes vertical in the CA and than later fit them in to a layout. On Pinehurst, was having an impossible task of fitting in the 17th hole and the 18th hole. It seems the distance was too far from the 1st hole which was the measuring point. Was like how can this be fixed?

Looking at this site, Rlslay uploaded a program called Ghostit. Started messing around with that program. Took a screen shot of Google earth and than masked it and than traced blobs of holes to the correct positions in the CA. Than moved my holes to the Ghostit locations to get a somewhat accurate landscape.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 4:30:53 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, December 9, 2019 at 4:54:00 AM

Experimenting with textures:

Now starting to think in my head it may be possible to kind of create the rough look of Pinehurst and really liked the shaping and design of the TGC 2019 course and what that designer did. In the back of my mind know that it is possible to mimic or do this for the TW game.

As stated in other posts with TexMods you can create amazing textures using the stock libs, which in 07 and 08 each base texture the game blends two textures in to one.

On file have a perfect blend texture set with a fully blended fringe. All you have to do is recolor or alter the set to fit the course you are designing.

- You make an adjustment to the fairway texture. Than make the same exact adjustments to all the other course textures. That way the set is still blended perfect.

In 07 the stock weed rough are these patchy rough textures. Was thinking, this may just work. The TV broadcast shows it being patchy sandy rough.

Testing a base rough texture is pretty simple you create a texmod file and replace the texture, than test it.

The base rough has three textures

1 The main texture
2 The EA sports overlay texture
3 The Grass effects

Than you test in game, it looks terrible and you try again by saving a new texture or adjust the already created texture.

Messing around with tons of base texture styles and even a clone texture from the TGC 2019 game and at this point nothing is really working.

Like all mad scientists you make a mistake or create some off the wall idea and bam it works.

Here is the 1st look at Pinehurst #2

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 5:19:12 AM | IP Logged

Because this has never been done before, want to kind of show this mad scientist experiment.

Two textures blended in to one.

The top layer created, is a burned out look with two tone colors.

When your ball is flying overhead this is the look you get of the rough.  

File Attachment
Zip File - JPG File - Click Here to Download File - 143.1 KB

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 5:27:06 AM | IP Logged

Than when your ball is in the rough, you get this baked out spotty look which kind of has a sandy look to it.

In the game, the look is different than any rough effect done before.

File Attachment
Zip File - JPG File - Click Here to Download File - 201.8 KB

dawg8
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 12/20/1946 (77)

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 11:14:04 AM | IP Logged

This is great, will be cool to have Pinehurst #2 for TW 08. After the course was put back to the way Donald Ross designed it. Stay with it Hyno. THANKS 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 at 1:43:07 PM | IP Logged

08 Course? Because of the lighting effects of the 08 tree's. Than the tree's and bushes animations which moves them in a strange manor when it is windy. The bushes having these strange stem root bottoms. Not having any kind of marker that tells you your driving distance. This course is a Tiger Wood's 2007 course.

Am using some 08 Tree's on this course, the hedge bushes from East Lake, which going to texmod the color of to match the 07 game.

Want to also have the 08 1st cut rough base grass effects. The main textures on this course have re-wrote the entire 08 East Lake texture set. The weed rough to get the patchy look had to re-write an 07 stock weed rough.

This course is like an Augusta were it is going to have like 8,000 trees on it, no way am I going to plant it twice with 08 tree's either. It is hard enough just trying to build it.

As stated many times I believe it is possible to fix the water rendering problem on custom courses in the 07 engine. The water renders fine and looks great on stock courses.

The 07 K-Club and 07 Sawgrass are the perfect tree's for this course and the same with Augusta National. 

mardybear
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 4:49:51 PM | IP Logged

Great work Hyno Designs, a true artist. Wish i had the patience, expertise and attention to detail for this type of work. Keep it up! 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 at 1:56:15 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Friday, December 13, 2019 at 1:59:00 AM

When I started way back in 2003, than into 04,05 and 06. You could get away with things on the courses because the graphics and resolution and ball cam were kind of different. My ideology was you could always improve. It was create the design than fix the mistakes. Overtime you learn from your errors and create methods to do things. Not until Royal St. George did I design a course around a Pano. Hikerbob built that Pano based on the layout.

The 1st key which took a long time to figure out you need to give yourself about 400 to 500 yards from the boarders.

The top pick is 1st St. Sabastian and the 2nd is the remake.

You can not really see in this picture but have elevation going in to the boarders being to close to the boarders the Pano flips and you see below it in game.

The next problem is when you have elevation that you create near the boarder it looks funky or bad. Going back and looking at Ocean Manor, I screwed this up, St. Sabastian screwed this up.

You can always extend the top boarder and the right boarder using course properties. The bottom boarder and left boarder you can not.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 at 3:16:58 AM | IP Logged

The next key which is subjective to the eye is the shaping of the course, the rough shading and the cart paths. On real courses you want to try to match the real shapes than you need to modify that shape aka the corners of the greens and the fairways, than bunkers. Homeboy was really good at shaping fairways. Some of these other guys have some really creative rough shading and shaping skills. I've seen some designers who are really good at building up the exterior areas of the holes with the extra visual effects.

You can't really teach this stuff, you kind of have to design a few courses, learn it, than go back to an earlier design to see the progressions. Been doing this for so long it is now natural so I don't really screw this up and know how to make it look good.

Than finally the planting. This is a skill set, luckily early on was able to pick this up rather quick. You want to use different sizes and different trees and bushes. The best way to plant is to use the CA camera and hand plant the course. On a tree line course like this you build the tall pines about 65 feet + or - 10. Than you add in some pines less than 50 feet high and maybe add in a few bigger pines. Than once you get out about 15 feet in to the tree line you plant the big trees as fillers.

On a real course if you can get a picture of the tee shot try to create that look in the CA. Only do this for one tee shot the tee's you want the player to use. I use one set of tee's only. Started doing this cause way back when they would set up the game in the online boards and play from the red tees and shoot like 17 under for a round.

Pinehurst #2 the logistics are kind of hard. How far do you want the pine straw from the fairways and than you need room to put galleries in.

On this course because it is always changing, do basic planting like a row of pines and test it and than adjust the rough lines to the pine straw until I get the look that I want.

Than you have the chipping areas. How many yards do you want to make them, 5 yards, 10 yards and so forth. Than you need to shape it in to the landscape which goes back to the start of this post.

What I found so far, if you raise the greens up like 7 to 9 feet it looks strange in the game. Than you need to create a slope in the green. Lets say you raised the green 7 feet from the fairway than add in a 3 foot drop from the back of the green to the front now the back of the green is 10 feet raised.

I've been to Pinehurst #2 and know the greens are like giant mounds or giant ant hills.

FYI If I can find my old video that I took from Pinehurst 99 from the practice round will upload that to youtube.

You need to come up with a method for the greens that blends the landscape and the visuals. EA sports did a really good job on the 04 stock course, going to copy what they did and not make 8 foot high raised greens.

The last part is trying to make this course hard. It is long based on the yardage. Wanted to do 21 yard fairways and it just didn't look right and needed some more space. Took them out to around 23 to 28 yards wide. Than if you miss the greens you are not really in rough. In real life you may loose 2 or 3 shots on a few holes playing this course but in a video game you will not. That is going to be the hardest part of this project. Can I go back in time and do a Merion, Oakmont, Shinnecock kind of hard course because my courses have gotten way easier to score on.

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 at 11:49:10 AM | IP Logged

Great work Hyno, looks very good. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:21:52 AM | IP Logged

Worked, Friday, Saturday and Sunday on this project and watched the President's Cup. Looking at Royal Melbourne, was like I can duplicate the colors of that course with perfect looking textures. But drawing those bunkers...

(That was a good win for Tiger and for the American team.)

Back to Pinehurst, today was a marathon worked for about 15 to 16 hours on this course. For 3 days I couldn't complete 3 holes that is just ridiculous.

Decided to do holes 16, 17 & 18 and pretty much have up to hole 7 firmly planted but not complete and a rough sketch of hole 8.
(This part of the course all blends together.)

Why is this course so hard to build? I don't know, the logistics. You never get it correct so you are moving things around, reshaping, trying to get the look you want. Had these ideas for 17 and wanted the tee to look a certain way, the tree line to blend in, the planting, the elevation and ect. In other words you are re-doing things over and over till you the designer deem it acceptable.

Here is the look of #17, said I was going to do a TexMod, Payne Stewart so this is Payne playing with David Duval aka the 3rd round of the 99 Us Open.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:29:27 AM | IP Logged

Here a look down the 16th hole. Looking at this course, I can't believe what I am looking at. These textures are the some of the best ever made for this game. It is all because of deciding to re-do the rough texture on Royal Portrush, that is what triggered this and is raising the level of these courses.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:42:42 AM | IP Logged

This pic is a fun one. David Duval, wearing his 2001 British Open Final Round Outfit, dancing on the 17th green.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 7:10:58 PM | IP Logged

Pinehurst is finally pretty close to complete. Just need to iron out some of the details. Said that I wanted to get all this stuff out by the end of the year, it is just not going to happen.

Designer notes:

Pinehurst #2 was way harder to design. By far the most hours of work out of any course that I've ever done.

The dome greens really don't work with 6 or 7 feet fall offs. It is funny cause on Royal Portrush a lot of those greens were raised with banks and it worked really nice in to the landscape. Overall the course is not that difficult but the atmosphere and aesthetics are top level. Kind of going through the design, trying to make it a bit harder and re-doing and reworking some of the greens.

Want the greens to be fair, very smooth, with natural breaks, tricky and with some moving slopes were you need to be a good green reader to make putts.

Right now Turnberry plays a bit harder so I need to amp this course up a bit. Don't get me wrong it is hard not to make bogies on Pinehurst because some of the long Par 4's are like short Par'5.

Worked really hard this year on these new releases, hopefully it will bring people back to an old outdated game.

(I know people like trying to play these things in 08, right now I haven't done a texmod for 08 but may include it in the file, this is a texmod course and if you don't load it up using texmods the textures will look terrible)

On Royal Portrush, it was the John Daly crazy outfit collection on Pinehurst did Payne Stewart and David Duval and than decided to do the Ian Poulter collection.  

Bobby Bolin
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/5/1988 (35)

Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 1:31:29 PM | IP Logged

Let me know if you want me to give it a quick test at any time. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 4:32:13 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 1:45:00 AM

Sure, send me a PM. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 2:42:06 AM | IP Logged

Here is the Ian Poulter collection

The top pic is Tiger with the outfit he had on during the final round of 99 US Open, this was tricky to build.

Than we got the new and improved Ian Poulter

Than finally, Justin Rose wearing his 3rd round outfit from Merion.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 at 11:15:01 AM | IP Logged

Right now trying to get everything ready for a public release for 6 or 7 courses. Built a master library for this project, started back in 2016. Mainly it is for the fringes. Also have 3 other courses in production that I want to have the textures in this lib before the library is complete. In other words, this is a master library for 10 courses.

The textures have mutated in to TexMod's were I am rewriting stock textures. Granted most of these courses are for 07 and re-writing 08 libs for an 07 game will not effect any ones courses. However for the 08 release of Royal Portrush, the K-Club weed rough has been over written. In order to run these texmod courses aka Pinehurt #2, you need to load the game via texmods and have the texmod file for it.

TexMod outfits, clubs, players and ect.

Since 2014 have been revamping the textures in the TW game. I did an initial set, than an extra set and than another extra set. Sadly I lost that hard drive and have those files placed in random places on external hard drives. In the summer started doing new players and textures. That set now replaces 220 additional game textures. Wanted to merge them all in to one file, this project is massive. It will not be done for years, if ever.

Over at football idiots for the John Madden game they have a program that unpacks the games textures than they hard code the new textures in to the game aka the team outfits. Really the only way to rebuild the TW game is to recode the game.

Quietly, was able to help big time and thanks to him for creating a solution to being able to duplicate obj files. We now have 45 new hole signs for the TW game. The way I am doing this and have been doing this for the last 10 days, any hole signs that I created which are weak, not good or flat out horrid am replacing with new and better signs. For example, didn't really like the Skyline Chili sign that I did. So it was replaced with an Irish microbrewery sign. In the end you will still have some cheesy sign posts but will weed them out over time. Krystal Burgers may be the cheesiest. Mr. Rooter's plumbing is also pretty bad, but they are staying.

Ambient sound effects

Back in 2004 on my 2nd release ever for the TW game built a masterful sound experience, using ocean waves, sea birds, airplanes and wind noise effects on the out going first 6 holes of Royal Troon. Since my return to the TW game in 2013 have gone on the cheap, using a Sound ini file for the courses that produces wind and maybe two bird sounds. Being a real life sound engineer and master sound mixer this is a disgrace. Why I have never gone in and produced a sound lib for new birds, noises and so forth is beyond me.

When I was working on Turnberry was thinking about going back to the 04 Royal Troon sound effects and on Pinehurst #2, really wanted the church bell chimes. For me it would be really cool if I could actually use the real sounds from the Pinehurst Methodist church. Sometimes God answers your prayers when unknowing you want to do work for him. The Pinehurst actual church bells will be on this release.

This is what I've done, took the top 100 of all the bird noises and sounds from TW03 to 08 and put them in my lib. Than I cut it down to about 50 sounds. Now I am going in to the Hyno Designs mixing studio and going to produce about 50+ more brand new sounds for this library. It was so simple that I never thought of it before. All I did was searched for free bird sounds mp3 and wav files and you have actual websites that have hundreds of recorded ambient sound effects. On a side note, the sound effects I did for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas were ground breaking to say the least. Granted these new bird noises for the TW game will not be on the same level. The TW game only accepts mono files cut down to half the frequencies of an old fashioned CD.

What did you do this weekend? I went and mixed sound files of birds chirping, seaguls, ocean effects and church bells.

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
nort2,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Donald Ross's Masterpiece Pinehurst #2 - Page 1 Loaded in 0.984 seconds
Thursday, March 28, 2024 @ 6:31:36 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.