Optimal PC Specs to Run TW08 in Full
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Friday, November 3, 2017 at 6:05:13 PM | IP Logged

Hi all.... I know there have been smattering of discussions about memory and graphics cards and the like, but I thought we'd consolidate once and for all in a topic what is minimally needed to run this game at fullest and highest resolution (i.e., with all of the settings within the game maxed out) without any lag. Therefore looking for the best information on what would be best on our rig to do so when considering:

Processor speed
Video card speed and memory
Core numbers
Physical memory (RAM) 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 2:36:17 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 2:37:00 PM

Interesting question, i am playing on an average PC system, so i can t max out on the custom courses.
Maybe i can max out on the stock courses, but certainly not on the custom courses.
Some of the custom courses need much more resources from your PC, compared with the stock courses.
Hopefully some members (playing maxed out) will post the PC specifications.

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 5:02:06 PM | IP Logged

What's your definition of an "average PC" though. It may not be the same as others. I think the processor speed is the main key. I'm certainly sure that some custom courses are much more demanding.

Presently I'm running:

Processor (speed): AMD Phenom 9600 B 2.3 GHz
Video card speed and memory: NVIDIA GeForce GT730 - 2 GB
Core numbers: Quad
Physical memory (RAM): 8 GBs 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

B-Day: 11/26/1987 (36)

Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7:04:12 AM | IP Logged

I think the game is to old for high spec computers , mine is by no means top notch , but I run an Nvidia GTX 1060 6 gb and the game played on this card is ? probably no better than yours 

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 at 1:24:13 PM | IP Logged

I agree with Argon. The only thing you could expect improving would be the waiting time to draw the screen of heavy custom courses.

Having said that, I wonder why the CLS things like butterflies and fountains work on my laptop while they don't work on my superior desktop. They are both old XP machines and the setting in TW08 is identical. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 at 2:32:06 PM | IP Logged

Yep your screen shot looks a lot better and sharper than mine Ricky ? did you install Sweet FX , here is a screen shot from a game circa 2014/15

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 at 10:59:39 PM | IP Logged

Hello, argon. Yes, I did try Sweet FX once, but the outcome was awkward, so uninstalled it at once. What's the merit of that?

Your shooting? game looks like a photo. It recalled me to the Links in early 90s. That hypnotized me with their photographic background, and I liked it so much. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 6:44:44 AM | IP Logged

edited by: argon on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 6:45:00 AM

Rickie said:
"Hello, argon. Yes, I did try Sweet FX once, but the outcome was awkward, so uninstalled it at once. What''s the merit of that?

Your shooting? game looks like a photo. It recalled me to the Links in early 90s. That hypnotized me with their photographic background, and I liked it so much."

Hi Ricky the Sweet FX can enhance any game , but so far I have messed up with it, you can manual install it or theres a tool/ injector,
On this link scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on a screen shot, there is a slider which you can drag across the screen shot to see the difference sweet fx makes.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/8083/

The shooter game above is Sniper Elite 3 , out about 2014 , Sniper Elite 4 has been out a while now screen shot attached , imo best games ever made

Jo Summer has poste about sweet fx before , I think I need Jo to do a Tutorial for us ? 

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 3:30:43 PM | IP Logged

Hi argon, I can see the difference, but can we not see the same result simply using gamma and sharpness controls?

Sniper Elite looks like my old favorite Far Cry. I really want to play the recent games, if only MS makes a decent OS like XP... or even W7. 

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 9:50:16 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gordo on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 9:51:00 PM

So I see you guys are posting good "looking" screen shots, but how is the game play/smoothness/frame rate? When you search around the map and on the stroke and the ball in flight, are you getting a typically even flow with no stuttering?

Also, Argon, I see your graphics card is 6 GB, which is heavy duty. but what is the processor speed?

I wonder if each of you could post the specs indicated in the OP. The other stuff is nice, but it''s enhancement talk. 

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:15:56 AM | IP Logged

Hello, Gordo. Sorry to say this, but I don't seem to be understanding what you're actually trying to figure out. To my poor knowledge, TW08 won't get the best appearance when you maxed out the options. As a matter of fact, we are forced to cut down the shader level.

Although Argon has GTX1060, the appearance is not that enviable. The problem seems to be the game's texture. You can't get a wonderful look from the TW08's obsolete texture, even if you have an ultra super computer.

On the other hand, there is a slight chance to speed up the overall game play with high-clock processors. I don't have great expectations for that though, because of TW08's old architecture. Is TW08 capable of multi core functions? I don't think so. Anyways, I'm nearly satisfied with TW08 speed-wise.

I am dreaming, one day EA remakes TW08 with super high resolution-textures. It is when I purchase a new PC.

Processor : Intel Core2Duo 3.00 GHz
Video card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX750Ti - 2 GB
Physical memory (RAM): 4 GBs
I have three of them, and thinking to buy one more second-hand with 3.4GHz processor. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 12:32:16 PM | IP Logged

edited by: argon on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 12:49:00 PM

Gordo said:
"So I see you guys are posting good "looking" screen shots, but how is the game play/smoothness/frame rate? When you search around the map and on the stroke and the ball in flight, are you getting a typically even flow with no stuttering?

Also, Argon, I see your graphics card is 6 GB, which is heavy duty. but what is the processor speed?

I wonder if each of you could post the specs indicated in the OP. The other stuff is nice, but it''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s enhancement talk."

I have an AMD FX quad 4130 , 16 gb ram , GPU GTX 1060 - 6gb, don`t know processor speeds I need to look into that.
But I tell you Gordo sweet fx would give TW 2008 a new life, Jo has wrote before on sweet fx I will search this forum
1 forum thread I found,but as this tut says , could stress lower end cards.
As Rickie said my GPU produces nothing special as regards TW 2008 !
http://coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=9946

dawg8
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 12/20/1946 (77)

Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 4:04:51 PM | IP Logged

Rickie...what course is it that your are playing(the image that you posted????) 

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 7:55:01 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gordo on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:37:00 PM

Rickie, as I indicated in my OP, I''m trying to run this game on optimal or near optimal graphics settings without any gameplay lag. I certainly don''t expect the game to look like newer games as in some of the screen shots you guys have been posting, but I think I should be getting better performance in light of my specs. I''ll have to look into the sweet fx idea again.

So again, essentially, what Argon is showing in his above TW screen but with little to no framerate lag during swings, ball in flight, looking around the course, etc. 

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:48:16 PM | IP Logged

Hello, dawg8. You must know the course. I can't name it for the honor of the creater as I changed the pano to my taste.

Hello Gordo, Got your point, Thanks.
It is rather slow on my PC when I look through to the left or right from the tee. Other than that, there's no fluttering nor frustration. I'm looking forward to the advance in SweetFX and Downsampling. 

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:58:12 PM | IP Logged

oh, almost forgot.
Anyone knows about CLS things I wrote? 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 11:40:07 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 11:48:00 AM

Hiya Rickie, about your question about CLS ( Course life system ):

Normally TW08 will detect if your PC can handle the CLS, when your system is strong enough then it should show the cls in the game.
( CLS is not visible in all custom courses, some custom courses dont have CLS)

Since your desktop is stronger then your laptop, then it should show the CLS.
You can force TW08 to show the CLS:

Start TW08, and on main screen go to: Options.....Graphics
Now set Graphics to: Manual settings...........and below you will see: Course life system
Course life system is probably set to: Automatic.......set it to: High

Note: Be sure to use a custom course that contain CLS )
When you go to the installed coursename folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\Courses )
And you look inside the coursename folder then you should find a CLS folder, when there is no CLS folder then you can t see CLS on that custom course.

Note: When your system is not strong enough then the game will play a bit slow when you set CLS to High. 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 12:46:48 PM | IP Logged

Gordo said:
"So I see you guys are posting good "looking" screen shots, but how is the game play/smoothness/frame rate? When you search around the map and on the stroke and the ball in flight, are you getting a typically even flow with no stuttering?

I wonder if each of you could post the specs indicated in the OP. The other stuff is nice, but it''s enhancement talk."

Hi , Gordo , yes the screen shots I posted were of more modern games SE3 & SE4.
Now I tried TW 2008 with graphics all set to their highest and for me there is no difference, so it just shows as I said previously the game is old for cards like mine ,? is it directX , I don`t no , but just shows you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink,

Rickie
General Member
Japan

Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 at 1:02:22 AM | IP Logged

Hello Gunpower, thanks for your advice.
I appreciate what you're doing for the site everyday.

Gordo, argon, the best enhancement to my TW08 was the widescreen topic.
It really enhanced the look of the game. Have you tried it? 

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 at 2:45:01 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gordo on Friday, November 10, 2017 at 2:45:00 PM

Well, again, I''m not wanting just a better "look", I''m wanting a good combination of look and game play. Personally I don''t like the widescreen look and feel. I just want a smoother frame rate with graphics that a PC can handle. There may be something in my NVIDIA settings that could assist. I''ll look further and report back.

(but I still think it''s my processor) 

Page of 2
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
goofygolf,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Optimal PC Specs to Run TW08 in Full - Page 1 Loaded in 0.469 seconds
Friday, April 19, 2024 @ 9:46:29 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.