win 10 w/tw08 disc
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

sagist55
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 8:17:12 PM | IP Logged

I downloaded win 10 on my laptop and now can't even get TW08 disc to load. I insert disc and suppose to come up so I can download but I get nothing. I'm trying to look for a place to check on compatibility on my laptop but win 10 isn't that friendly. Any suggestions? Thx. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 at 2:43:09 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Monday, December 21, 2015 at 2:43:00 AM

Hello, i will make a new small tutorial for Win10 in a few hours, i will also add info how to run in compatibility mode.
I will add it when finished, should be done today. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 at 8:58:18 AM | IP Logged

Several people are using Win10, for most people it works.
Some people using AMD Radeon graphics card had problems running the game, see link below, for a solution for AMD Radeon users.
Also when you have a Direct X error message, then you can find some help on link below:
http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=10042&forum=11

For all users,Follow steps below:
On desktop you should have TW08 program icon.
This is how you can get the TW08 icon on your desktop:
Go to the bin folder in TW08, see path below:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08\bin

Now inside the bin folder right click the TW08.exe icon, and in list choose: Copy to...and choose: Desktop
Now you will have the Tw08 icon on your desktop.
Now you will have to run TW08 in compatibility mode, see help below.

Automatically Change Compatibility Mode Settings for App in Program Compatibility Troubleshooter:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right click on TW08 icon on desktop, and click/tap on: Troubleshoot compatibility
Click/tap: Continue
Then click second option: Continue troubleshoot program
Now choose option on top: Try recommended settings
And click: Test program
Now TW08 should start, when it started close TW08 again
Now click: Next......and choose the option on top: Save the settings for this program
After that TW08 should work.
Important note: When you do the compatibility thing, it is possible your system will say it will not work in compatibility mode or TW08 will not start, but just finish the steps above and restart your PC and it should work !!!!

When you are using TWCaddie08 to install courses:
------------------------------------------------
Right click TWCaddie08 icon....choose properties....on top click: Shortcut......and then on bottom click: Advanced
And check the Run as administrator box, and click: OK

Option: When you don t have the icon on your desktop, you can also go to: C:\Program Files\CourseDownloads.com\TW Caddie 08 - Vista 64
And you can do the administrator thing on the TWCaddie08 icon you will find there.

Scottyboy99
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:04:05 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Scottyboy99 on Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:21:00 AM Extra info

I think it''''s worth mentioning that even if you get past the memory error with the fix and compatibility mode there is another big problem. The original TW 08 disc has securom. Windows 10 will not run it as the securom/safe disc driver has been removed from the OS. Those who upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 are in luck as the driver can be re activated. For clean installs of Windows 10 you are bang out of luck. Unless a no cd exe is sourced but given the kind of sites you need to go to get these it''''s not worth the risk. I wish a digital download version existed but unfortunately it does not. The guys on here have been fantastic helping many getting the game running. The memory issue happens on nvidia cards too. I think modern gpu had too much memory and direct X falsifies reported memory causing a zero query in the game without the fix applied. I hope EA remember the PC enthusiasts one day and release a new golf game that properly supports Windows 10. Given golf is a game best played on a PC with a mouse rather than consoles I cannot believe they don''t include the pc

I believe virtually every tiger woods version between 2000-2008 has some kind of securom. That''''s EA for you! 

argon
General Member
United Kingdom

B-Day: 11/26/1987 (36)

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 at 10:49:59 AM | IP Logged

Thanks Gun, but could this not be reposted as a new sticky topic on it`s own 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 at 11:54:10 AM | IP Logged

Yes Argon, i added it as a sticky topic: TW08 and WIN10 compatibility mode tutorial
It is on this link: http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=10362

sagist55
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 at 12:59:49 PM | IP Logged

Thanks Gun for that good info. I restarted my laptop and now am able to download my TW08 disc. I will use your instructions for compatibility and hopefully get it running. Thank god I have my other laptop with win8.1 to fall back on to play while I iron this out. 

Scottyboy99
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 3:55:36 AM | IP Logged

Re: the securom issue on win 10. I'd rather not risk finding and downloading no cd cracks. Instead I will try game jackal by slysoft to see if that helps. I'll report back if it is a success 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (54)

Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 11:00:14 AM | IP Logged

edited by: jbcalg on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 11:00:00 AM

no cd (it''s actually a dvd)cracks, hacks etc - not supposed to be on the forums

game jackal IMO - is same category - you''re bypassing security software installed by the game distributor
purchasing a copy of tw08 doesn''t get a round that

shouldn''t need that with Win10 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

Scottyboy99
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 12:56:43 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Scottyboy99 on Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 1:15:00 PM Changed word

I''m just a little baffled how so many of you are playing TW 08 on Windows 10. It shouldn''t work with disc because of securom / safe disc quashed by MS. It even came down in an update by MS on win 7/8 systems where the secdrv service/driver was disabled but this can then be re enabled via registry or cmd prompt. It can also be done on 10 but you had to of upgraded from 7 or 8/8.1, the driver doesn''t exist in clean installs of Windows 10 full stop. I presume many users haven''t done the registry edit or cmd prompt so I wonder how people run it. No Cd/DVD.exe? Or does TW caddie give a different executable ? A digital version of game would work but AFAIK these don''t exist. I just want the game to work, I paid my money so am well hacked by MS and to an extent EA over it. So I am curious as to the methods, maybe the driver hadn''t been disabled in some upgrade installs and the majority of guys on here are not playing on a clean install but an upgraded one.

Cheers, Wayne 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 7:03:33 AM | IP Logged

Hello Scottyboy99, interesting info about the security driver problem.
I did some research about it and a guy found a workaround for it on win10.
When you go on link below, scroll a bit down and look for: Adam Bise replied on August 17

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/secdrvsys-not-loading-in-windows-10-this-will/65a6fe83-08df-4760-b2ad-6b1ce61d40d4?page=3

Scottyboy99
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 10:42:29 AM | IP Logged

Hi, thank you so much for finding that link. I have read it, the workaround is a good one. Quite an intimidating undertaking. I will try and look at it soon. In meantime I will pursue replacing affected software with digital versions where possible. Soon I will have tiger woods running again! I did manage to hook my older 7 laptop (after a regedit to re enable secdrv.sys) up to my new machines larger monitor via its hdmi output. So all is not lost and I can play tiger woods that way. Of course id prefer to do it on my newer machine.

I hope others seeking to play the game will see the threads on here and it will help them. My hat is off to you guys for all the help and the way an old classic keeps running. I hope EA one day see sense and re incarnate the Pga tour series on pc 

jurgie
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 1/12/1948 (76)

Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 3:35:09 PM | IP Logged

Gunpower61 said:
"Hello Scottyboy99, interesting info about the security driver problem.
I did some research about it and a guy found a workaround for it on win10.
When you go on link below, scroll a bit down and look for: Adam Bise replied on August 17

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/secdrvsys-not-loading-in-windows-10-this-will/65a6fe83-08df-4760-b2ad-6b1ce61d40d4?page=3
"
Thanks for posting this link Pat,it is really a must read for anyone who can not get TW08 or for that matter numerous older games to work in Windows 10. The most noticeable difference between the original Windows 7 Platform and the 8.1 and the 10.0 upgrade is an obvious effort by Microsoft to tighten up security issues almost to the point of overkill. Good, I guess for all your personal information but not so good for gaming, especially in regards to older applications. Before a couple of days ago, I was running on 8.1 and going into System Information the other day, it showed my OS as 10.0. Used to be that you could disable automatic updates. I guess it is still possible but only for 30 days before the automatic updater again activates itself. I never had any issues running my old GTX 560 video card in either my XP 64 or Win7 64. On my XP drive I had both Links 2003 & TW08 installed and both ran perfectly. On my Win 7 drive I have Perfect Golf installed. It ran great until windows updated me automatically to version 8.1. Even though I run that sim through Steam, it virtually stopped working altogether on the 8.1 update. Upgrading the video card to a GTX 1060 6gb got Perfect Golf running smoothly again. What I did not realize until I installed the upgraded card, is that the card does not support XP. Therefore there is no video card driver available for the 1060 card which would allow me to use this card in conjunction with my XP platform. I did however get my Links 2003 to work perfectly in Win 10 with the 1060 card. Figure that one out. Links 2003 was released in 2002. It does not seem to be bothered by any of these new security precautions and whatever other obstacle we must overcome in the newer windows applications.  

There are 1 active members online
golfingod,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - win 10 w/tw08 disc - Page 1 Loaded in 0.516 seconds
Friday, March 29, 2024 @ 11:13:33 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.